Powered by WebRing®.

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Prototypes

I have once again resolved to start an etsy store. As a fashion design student, I believe it would be beneficial to my career and pocketbook. Another motivating factor is the recent blessing of 3 boxes of upholstery fabric and swatches. Although my friends had a good laugh at me, digging through those boxes was just as good as Christmas. For now, the idea is to focus on fabrics I already own and see where my creativity leads me. Hopefully, I will be able to continue to find fabrics from alternative sources and therefore focus my designs on re purposing.

On the left, you see the first handbag created from the swatches and the first shaped bag I've ever made. I used two 12 x 12 swatches to create the body and folded the bottom as if I were wrapping a present. The interior is lined with two 12 x 12 cream colored linen swatches. I used cluny lace from my stash for trim (left raveling by design) and scrap of contrasting upholstery fabric for the rosette and handle. Although the exterior looks great, the interior is a little messy since I failed to think through the application of trims before I stitched in the lining. The perk is it's imperfections give me a perfect excuse to keep it my self!

If I didn't need to stock a store, I'd save this tropical tote bag for myself as well. It is created from two 12 x 12 swatches of a cotton blend with two 4 x4 patches appliqued for interest. The bottom/gusset/handle is made of a complimentary scrap of cotton bled yardage. The best part about this tote is the fact that the colors are reversed from front to back with teal being the main color on the other side.

In the process of creating myself a new wardrobe I am designing my own line of clothing for the grown-up hippie chic. Not only do I love the way this top looks and wears, I love it's eco sense. The only part not re purposed is the thread holding it together. The floral fabric is vintage flour sacking. The beige waistband and trim are recycled from a cotton jersey tank I no longer wear. I also used the ribbon ties from the tank to seam finish the front neckline. My next sewing project will be a similar top for etsy.

3 comments:

Alpaca Farmgirl said...

Hi Corrine,
Thanks for sharing your beautiful things with us! I can tell you are very creative. Love the quote in your header. Hope we see you for lots of Fiber Arts Fridays!

frolicnfibers said...

Love your totes! I'm going to have to visit your Etsy store. Keep up the good work!

Carol............. said...

Your creations are beautiful.......